Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Hescos and bongos (Part 1)



I have been asked " Can you tell me about Iraq?" and so I tell them "Hescos and Bongos" And you say - what?

Well, we surround things with them as a defensive measure.

To the left are some British troops filling them up. Looks like fun right? Not really - but we all pretend it is. And pretending is half the battle.

I always joke about "Watering the Hescos" but our FOB Defense NCO and Officer do not find it very funny. They think that if plants were to grow in them their roots would destroy them. As if - we need green camoflauge! We are in the desert but guess what? Our new uniforms have GREEN in them - so should the Hescos.


The ARMY has this to say:
Concertainer® from HESCO is acknowledged as the most significant development in field fortifications since WWII. It has been a key component in providing force protection since the 1991 Persian Gulf War. Typical applications include perimeter security and defence walls, equipment revetments, ammunition compounds, personnel and material bunkers, observation points, defensive firing positions, guard posts, explosives and contraband search areas, highway checkpoints, border crossing checkpoints, and protecting existing structures
~~~~~~

Whatever - they are just Hescos. I have this HUGE PLAN for them - but I will talk about that later.

I also think that the ARMY should use them like Time Capsules. But no one wants to toss their PS2 or other significant items into them. They also think it is silly. But I disagree. Thus far I have donated 7 donuts, 16 books by Stephen King, 7 cans of Red Bull, 10 random letters people have written me, 6 random DVDs that I was bored of anyways, 4 stars and stripes newspapers, a pocketknife, and one expired credit card. I think I will show the future what things were like here! Either that or the Hescos will get cleaned up by some future military organization - be it US or Iraqi.

Any other thoughts on what to do with Hescos before I go into my spiel about them later?

No comments: