Saturday, December 09, 2006

Watching Kelly - DVD archiving

1) Kelly Krogen (age 4 & 11/12)

I watched my friend's daugher Carie today. Kelly is a wonderful 4 year old and about to turn 5 soon. Mayhaps Josiah can go to her party! Carie is moving all of her possessions to her new Saint Louis Park apartment, and Kelly isn't exactly assisting. I was okay watching her because she is very calm and listens well - unlike Josiah. But they really enjoy playing with each other, so it works well.

Anywho, that is how the day went. I did some cleaning while they played. They didn't like the rice and stir-fry I cooked up. Of course I didn't like the Chinese Cheese preserved hot bean curd that my acquaintance Hang gave me! Ickiness! This vegetarian loves tofu - just not this particular Asian style! I plan to make tofu with berbere and eat it with Injera. That sounds yummilicious!


2) DVD copying

On a Mac, I am unfamiliar with how to copy DVDs or make MP4s. So I found awesome software that can do both.

Handbrake can make industry standard MP4s , H.264 , wonderfully!

And MacTheRipper will allow you to copy even copyrighted material to your hard-drive. The US Supreme Court has authorized the use of copying DVDs if they are already owned by you - so archiving is okay. Hopefully this isn't abused by Netflix and library users - though it probably is -I doubt Hollywood will go belly-up. But the music industry has been hurting lately. Or is it just the major labels?

No comments: