Friday, August 18, 2006

My So-called Lazy Day


I could have done a million things today. I probably should have called my ex-coworker Sadia, or even Darwin. I didn't - just goes to show how much I need to get away from everything. But I could use someone to chat with, so I thought my newfound friend Sarah might - but wasn't going to bet anything on that [she has a hot new boyfriend :P ]

It all turned out perfect anyways. I first stopped by Taco Bell and wished a few of my acquaintances ( Hashu, Meron , Daniel, Getu) a good day - in Oromifaan for Hashu. ;)

Meron has promised a couple days back to show me the Ethiopian way of making coffee. It is said to be much stronger than how we make it. She has also invited me to go with her to Ethiopia - so has Fatuma and Dureti! I am not sure how serious they truly are, but they have at least mentioned it in the last few weeks. It would be an amazing vacation!

After they went to work, I glanced to see Sarah - who was working hard as always - but twas the lunch rush. NOT the time to bother her.

So...I went to the library downtown via light rail. Each time I go there with Josiah, he just gets wild. He won't allow me to go anywhere but the children's section. So I finally was able to see all the periodicals and search the library stacks! It's AMAZING what selection they have! I am astounded by the depth of our libraries collection! Okay, maybe I am a diehard bookworm - but at least I was in heaven! ;)

I found a book on Oromo sayings and wisdom, in addition to a dictionary ( which was meant to teach English to those who could read Afaan Oromo and not vice-versa). I also found their sex advice section(titles I was looking for checked out,but still browsed) and Buddhist section.

I then perused periodicals finding a few ( GiantRobot and SciAm) of interest. Then I decided it time to head back to Taco Bell - after going to Chipotle first! After paying for my vegetarian burrito at Chipotle, I informed them I would be purchasing Pepsi at the nearest Taco Bell. They looked like I had just cussed out their mother - oh well. They don't carry Pepsi!

Arriving at Taco Bell after a few blocks bus ride, I was able to actually chat with Sarah. She was still rather bummed about her boyfriend, though I don't think she has anything to worry about. But I can understand, it's like knowing someone is upset with you and you can't even do anything about it, or even talk to them! Worse than annoying - it's downright torture! I thought mayhaps we could chat or go somewhere after she was done with work....

But she had made plans for after work( i.e. not with me), so I would be off to the Minnehaha Falls. It's a great place for a snack, and to relax reading The Dhammapada. Yeah it rained for a bit, but they have this bandstand area where I found it nice to wait it out. And it wasn't really hard rain, and prior to and afterward I was able to read near the falls. I love the place.

Maybe few will agree with me, but I think the Minnehaha Falls area is full of radiant and amazing energy. I don't think Minneapolis would be here if not for the falls, I think it is one of the anchors for this area. It may just be a waterfall in appearance, but it seems so much more.

Anywho, I made it back to Franklin Avenue by 7:30 or so and went to Seward Coop to pickup a foodlist Brandy made me ( to pickup the next day). There I met my friend Lori Yakle - twas nice as she offered to bring us some veggie kebab skewers, as her employers were out!

I scurried home with $50 in Certified Organic groceries to find Zion and Josiah running around. Brandy was busy cleaning up the place for Siah's birthday party. (I did wakeup today at 7:30AM with Josiah showing me candy he had stolen from his piñata - which I promptly moved above our closet. ) Anywho, I had the pleasure of asssisting her until the went to bed.

Now I truly am being lazy - I just did dishes and am browsing the digital realm. ( posting this)
I AM enjoying the weather tonight - though it is 60 degrees it feels like Fall already! It did the last few mornings/nights as well. Though I like wearing my shorts, to put on jeans and sweatshirts and enjoy this weather is priceless!

No comments: