Friday, August 11, 2006

Checked out Midtown Exchange



Today was a fun day. Brandy took off going to school and instead we went to the Midtown Global Exchange - previously known as Sears - at Chicago and Lake Street. Previously the only purpose I had to come to this part of town was to visit Uncle Hugo's Book store to pickup Doctor Who stuff or interesting fantasy books.

We bought some Green tea at what seemed to be a Japanese-centric store. We bought organic veggies and fruits at another store that exclusively sold these items, and then we ate at the newest Holy Land restaurant. I really like having this restaurant on the south side of Minneapolis, but also didn't mind seeing the Central avenue area on northside. ( It was always an excuse to shop at East Side Food Coop also)

Last year for his Josiah's birthday, we went to the Holy Land buffet. Josiah LOVES their pitas and hummus!

Anywho, after this and during Brandy's shopping time, Josiah was able to enjoy the mall's play area. Afterwards we crossed the street and went to a store I thoroughly dislike: Family Dollar Store. I really find the place full of junk and ripoffs. Everything is prepackaged and in the smallest sizes possible. But Brandy wanted to get some of Josiah's birthday plates and stuff there - so we did. I encouraged her to buy more things at Target, especially candy in bulk sizes. So we ended up saving a bit through using fewer packaging, but Josiah's birthday will still be spendy!

Anywho, after all this shopping I simply wanted to go home. So I did, and Brandy went to do a few errands. Once getting home, Siah played with the many neighbors children in our backyard.

I could not stay home, as I had decided to involve myself more in state politics. I had joined a progressive organization known as Take Action Minnesota, to promote progressive candidates and causes throughout our amazing state. My political blog will go into more detail about today's endorsement event, but I was thoroughly surprised that a Green Party member had the ability to get endorsed for a statewide race! Of course her opponent wasn't that impressive, and Dr. Julie Risser surely was!

[ photo credits : surlygrrrl ]

No comments: