Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Marines shift on FOB is - 6 hrs a day - every other day OFF


The Marines arrived on my FOB in September. From that point on it became very annoying to sign into the internet center as the lines were VERY long from that day on. It was understandable as our battalion ( 793 MP BN ) did not seem to have a clear plan as to what to do with them. Therefore until things were figured out they sat around.

The 793 MP BN was relieved today by the 49th MP BN - and a plan for the Marines is now "set in stone." They work 6 hour shifts and get every other day off - or more. So our internet center is even MORE clogged up with Marines than usual. In fact, every time I step into the waiting room I see one or two ARMY soldiers and the REST are ALL MARINES! This to me seems a bit ridiculous.

So I have lost respect for the Marine Corps. They are no better than ARMY soldiers - they just "think" they are better. They do not believe in support units - AKA their own mechanics, their own supply , etc. They do have a cook and a couple communications guys - but they are really lacking in most the other essential support services. Instead they mooch off of the ARMY and Air Force and anyone else they can get things from. They use up vehicles and supplies like they are rentals! Many are in essence "motardivated" - motivated to the point of retardation.

And so I am rather GLAD that I cannot even purchase the Marine Coin. All 600,000 of them SOLD OUT before I even had a chance to purchase one. Every Fall I buy my silver proof sets, regular proof sets, silver proof liberty dollar, and other silver commemorative proof coins from the USA, Canada, and British Mints. The only two coins that I tried to buy but could not due to being sold out were the Marine Corps coin and the colored 40th Anniversary of the Canadian Flag. I bought the non-colored 40th Anniversary of the Canadian Flag coin and have not shed a tear.

Actually, I am a bit upset I couldn't get these. Because they are a part of history...

Honestly, the Marines should ONLY be used to fight during the start of a war - or in strategic battles. Tell them what to shoot and who to attack and they will do just fine. Tell them to fight an insurgency and defend a FOB for months on end - and they will lose their minds! They are of short-term value in wars - not long-term. They simply kill "enemies" as much as they can - concepts such as maintenance and understanding the enemy are foreign concepts. But they are great at firing bullets. But then again, maybe I am incorrect about their value in the region. Maybe they are using are FOB for the short-term and will transfer elsewhere. We will see...or not because I leave in December.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

All this seems a little harsh. Perhaps there is more then what is told here underline the cruelty. Thou, from this report all I see is their use of the computers which inturn make less computers for others to use. But consider the other side. Had you more time to spend online or on the computer in general would you not also. For it is one of the FEW and ONLY means that you and others are able to communicate back home. Had it be more army people and not "marines" would it be any different. Perhaps we all should be a little more understanding. I do not profess to know much about any of this but rather just to try to take another perspective on things. Is it so wrong that people borrow and use what is availible rather then have to buy or bring in more things. This is just not economical. If the equipment is not being use why not let them use it. I read no report of them useing the things when the army themself needed it and they would not give it up. So then, what is all the rave. Are the two, marine and army, not on the same side. Fight for what is right but leave those little thing that need not matter behind. Why fret over that so insinificant. Be happy and extend a hand. Is this not the reason you are in Iraq to begin with.

Kevin C said...

You are right my post is harsh! But I was a bit upset at how these guys barely worked and are just so...outlandish. And my time waiting for food in the chow hall was nothing compared to how much we all had to wait to use the phones and internet! ( because few were working for about 2 months ) BUT I think this was because our FOB was greatly "overstrffed" for a period of time. There was a threat of imminent attack, and that never happened. ( thankfully )

I didn't coin the word "motardivated" I think the ARMY uses this as a word for those with so much energy they forget what they were supposed to be. Motivated to the point of retardation.

Anyways, I was reading my son a book today about a Marine. He wanted a book about war and the librarian recommended "Quiet Hero - The Ira Hayes Story" by S.D. Nelson. I think it a fantastic story and very real. It is about the very photo n the front side of that marine coin.

I honestly was never told the story because I was not a Marine. But very worthwhile to check out. I also think I will soften the edges and barbs in this post. But the intent I think was the frustration I was feeling and my comrades were feeling from their first few months after arrival.