Friday, July 18, 2008

HourCar Year 1


For those reading this who now dreading their addiction to oil at $4 a gallon and rising, why not go car-lite before going completely carfree? I am not completely carfree, though I haven't owned a car since 2003. There are moments when I need one, or others need a ride. In such cases I use HourCar, the non-profit version of ZipCar, which is only available in the Twin Cities.

My total cost for my first year of service is $396.34. The months I was charged only $11.32 were months I never used the vehicle, and is my service fee. I probably didn't spend this much, as I was compensated for rides that I provided for others. Not bad for $40 a month.

I don't purchase unlimited transit passes, because I don't use transit often enough. I can walk to nearly every place I need, and with the stroller attachment on my bike, Siah can come along easily.

HourCar also is convenient if you are able to share a car with someone, and use this service to fill in moments when your needs overlap ( perfect for families!).

So have I kicked the oil addiction? Nope. But my "need" has been reduced drastically, without adversely affecting my quality of life. Just like how my coffee habit has helpful antioxidants, yet I don't go over the 2 cups a day limit. :P

No comments: