Thursday, June 26, 2008

Completed Employment Ready U!


I have been attending classes at the Minnesota Workforce Center early weekday mornings for two weeks. It is quite a perplexing world to find myself in: The Realm of Unemployment. ( Queue spooky music ) Not something you expect working 7 years for an employer and then get tossed out for... what? Wish I knew, because someone does.




But let's now accentuate the positive. The classes consisted of what used to be classes one would have to individually sign up for such as:
  • Creative Job Search
  • Networking
  • Resume
  • Interviewing
  • Money Talks ( Financing )
  • Stand Where You Land ( keeping your job once you get it - assuming you want to take it)
While many of the items covered may seem simple, they are things we can all learn to improve upon. That was my perspective, and I truly felt it was a challenging course. Challenging if you actually do your homework and realize how much more effort one truly should put into their job search. And gaining insight into the current job market certainly is helpful!

One excellent reason to graduate are the benefits of using their computer lab without the need for waiting in a long line. Another is greater assistance by the class instructors. The benefit that I intend to take advantage of once it is available, is the National Work Readiness Credential. These are considered stackable credentials that are employer-centric skills in math, reading, and problem solving.

If there is anything I have learned from this experience, is that that I should keep all paperwork from employers: awards, certificates, copies of reviews. I should also have supervisors write letters of commendation. Some of these things I had, but "disappeared" from my locker at my former employer while I was appealing to get that job back. But I can't stay mad at the department - they did not make me pay for my uniform I turned in. ( Others have - and wardrobe even told me I still might have had to! )

These classes also serve as part of ones network. If any of my current leads transform into a reality, it will surely make my year! Though it was forced upon me, I have always believed in relocalizing. Just did not intend for my job to do so as soon. :)

No comments: