Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Unemployment Appeal Letter


At this point, I was several weeks into unemployment. I had received no income. I had to wait until I won my appeal case. There was no guarantee I would win an appeal.

Lawyers from the law firm Olson, Allen, & Rasmussen were actively searching my blog. What did they expect to find? They spent hours a day surfing my blogs. I hope they decided to send a check to the Green Party, go carfree, or stop supporting wars. I assumed they would misconstrue some of my blogs to "prove" I didn't deserve my unemployment. A very worrying time indeed, because the economy was just beginning to collapse. Little did I know, they decided it not worth defending their lies in court.

I received a letter about possible healthcare. COBRA would take up more than my entire take home after unemployment, so I declined healthcare coverage for myself and my son Josiah. I would just have to cross my fingers until a new job manifested itself. Of course, I was still hopeful someone at Shakopee Dakotah would come to their senses.

My 401K had also asked me what option I wanted to take. In May it was worth $13,000. About the same as the DOW Industrial Average. If I didn't cash out now, I never could until I retired. Why would I keep my money in a nation that doesn't value me or my rights as a worker? I was angry, and unsure if the economy could cope with $100+ a barrel oil, so I cashed out. In October my 401K would have been worth $8000. SO even with a 10% penalty tax, cashing out in May was well worth it. I sold high, not low. :D

No comments: