Saturday, March 24, 2007

Visited Grandma


My Grandma is not doing quite well lately, having the serious symptom of dementia. She cannot remember things that happened a few minutes prior, like letting her dog out to the back yard.

She is taking medication and has improved dramatically. But she is still not the Grandma I have know most of my life - but becoming more of a shadow.

The photo on the left is of myself, my son Josiah, Grandma Loretta Dougherty, and my mother Carmela. We took it when visiting her in Sandstone. I had realized moments after taking the photo that we were not just four generations, but all first-born. But I do not think this has any significance in my life, nor has it helped me.

The main reason to visit Grandma was to see how she was doing, and disconnect the computer and bring it ot my Mother's. Why my Grandma bought a computer is beyond me, she didn't even use it or know how. But she wanted what everyone else had, until she realized it was just taking up space and let my mother take it. She was even paying for cable internet! ( which we just had canceled ) She has a Dodge Dakota SXT truck in her garage, but can no longer drive due to her vision and memory problems.

Glen Goldsby drove us there, though I have a license - just no car. I was babysitting Kelly so she want along also. We went to the park and had lunch with Grandma. Josiah and Kelly ran to the playground when finished and jumped in the remainder of the snow.

Anyways, my Grandma is having further testing done to find out why she has dementia. This will allow us to all know what is happening and what can be done. Until then it is a mystery, and we can just hope for the best.

I plan to visit her again this august during Sandstone's Quarry Days. Obviously I will end up renting a small-compact hybrid car to get there. The bus prices are ridiculous!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know how it goes with Dymentia and it's a very hard thing to deal with not so much for the person involved as for the people around that person. My great grandmother had it and ended up not knowing who most of us were after a short time. It is hard to watch as they turn into a shadow of themselves. I'm glad the medications are helping her *hugs*