Thursday, March 08, 2007

Ordinary day






Today went pretty well. It is as "normal" as any ordinary day for me I suppose.

I work up around 9:30, and decided to skip breakfast and do some quick shopping before Carie brought Josiah and Kelly over. The previous day, Carie had watched Josiah for me because Brandy has evening classes. I typically watch Kelly for Carie on Saturdays and Sundays. But this week I had Monday off because I got in trouble at work. I also watched Kelly today.

Walked to WellsFargo on Franklin Avenue first for the ATM. Wish I had gone to the teller, because I usually get some dollar coins. It seems that there are some problems with the new dollar coins - some are called "godless dollars." The inscription "In god we trust" is missing, as is the mint mark. I want to get one! Maybe tomorrow....

INTERNATIONAL PHONE CARDS

Then I walked to Shabelle, and purchased some phone cards. Friends told me which cards are best for when calling East Africa - specifically Kenya: One, MN, and Giant. I got one called African Princess and the MN. The others were not there. The connection was great on African Princess, and had I hung up before the voice-mail kicked in, I would have had more minutes with Phanice! The MN ( STI ) was okay, but the connection was weaker.

I do not like cards from Alosmart any longer. There connections are poor, and always give you fewer minutes than the site claims. The ones at Speedy Pin that are good - and have amazing connections! Connection fees vary at that site.

But what is crazy is that it is cheaper to purchase international phone cards at stores! You would think there would be some cheap websites out there, but no. Vonage, Dialpad, Skype, and OneSuite all charge over 35 cents a minute or more to call a Kenyan cell phone! I can get them for 12 cents a minute at Shabelle or any store on Cedar Avenue.

--

Next went to Seward Coop for some food shopping.

Then I went home to call Phanice. She had just got home from work, taken a shower, and a friend was making her dinner. It's always nice to chat with her, no matter when it is! But the STI card cut off. Got the message in Swahili and English that "The mobile subscriber cannot be reached" by a Kenyan woman with a British accent.

So...I went to the library picked up my movie, V forVendetta, and some cds - including Willie Nelson's new reggae album "Countryman."

Walking home from the Franklin library, I saw people waiting for the Mystic bus on Bloomington Avenue. They noticed me too, so I went over to say hi. I decided to stay so I could hop on the bus and say hi to Dureti also. Dureti is working for me today, because she wanted Saturday off. And I do not mind switching my weekends off to help friends out. I didn't chat long, and forgot to ask her about her trip to Miami.

After getting home, I called Phanice to say good-night. It was nearly 11P.M. her time, but she had her dinner and was ready for bed. So I wished her sweet dreams and she wished me a good day.

Siah and Kelly got home and I have watched them most of the day since. I would have taken them outside for more than a short walk, but with the snow melting, it doesn't make sense to have them play in it. They will get all wet or muddy. Not good.

So indoor games like Hi Ho Cherrio and other such funness were inevitable.

I am actually getting tired of watching Kelly for the sole fact that Carie is getting exasperated about Brandy. Brandy will no longer watch Kelly, and I get to hear about it. Carie is lucky I came through for her this week. Next week will be another story. I work Monday and Thursday, in addition to Friday. Saturday and Sunday should be okay - as long as I do not have to watch Kelly overnight ( meaning mornings too). That way Siah and I can do shopping, errands - even go to the Clouds in Water Zen Center - without Kelly.

Anywho, it is getting late. 12:30AM Friday. Carie is here soon to pick Kelly up. Gonna call it a night.

Last thoughts: Would Al Gore really be okay not having a car and walking as much as I do? Maybe he can offset more of his carbon usage by paying people to live without a car and eat less meat. But can you offset gaining weight or is that called liposuction? :P

No comments: