Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Schools for Josiah


I have been trying to decide what school to have Josiah go to next September, as he will start Kindergarten.

My friend Ruth Omete has told me about one: LoveWorks, a charter school in Golden Valley. Had I known about it last year, I would have tried to enroll already. They allow 4 year olds to attend! (if they pass certain tests, which I think Josiah can)

Either way, it seems very intelligent as I have seen her son Brat's homework. Quite a lot, but they focus on teaching many things at once. They also believe that arts should be taught to children, rather than passed up like in public schools. They believe in a postive mentality, and have a gifted students program.

At first I was concerned about Loveworks, because it was promoted by Christian organizations and publications ( and I believe Ruth mentioned it was once). I am always skeptical of religion in our schools, but feel morals are important also. But after viewing their website, my fears have been allayed. So far I like them the most.

Brandy has recommended the Community of Peace charter school in Saint Paul, and the Anne Sullivan Communication Center which I think is for deaf/hard of hearing students but I could be wrong.

I always was interested in a private school that just opened a charter: Southside Family School, over where we used to live in Whittier. They believe in creating both intelligent and socially conscious citizens. So civics and activism will be a part of his teaching, though I would like to do these things with what I already am involved with. He currently can't understand the peace marches and anti-torture protests.

No comments: