Monday, October 30, 2006

Does McDonald's really want you to "get active?"


McDonald's could care less about anything except money. Of course, this entails making the public think it cares about their well-being and money, well everyone makes that right? McDonald's provides a service we all need.

Overall, they have figured out the American culture pretty well. If people make a big deal about something, issue big press releases saying things will change immediately. Then do nothing.

McDonald's has a history of doing this. Let's start with vegetarians complaining about beef flavor in its french fries. McDonald's stopped using beef tallow to cook them in 1990.. Vegetarians assumed the fries are safe, but aren't leading to a lawsuit. ( one can petition McDonald's to change this )

Of course the carnivorous public also thinks the fries are good for them. Except that they are fried in trans-fats. McDonald's had vowed in 2002 to stop using them. But they haven't, even as New York City bans them. Pressed to update the public on their advancements in this area, and we are told they are looking for a "viable alternative" to trans-fats. Let's just say, they don't want to pay a half-penny more for healthier fries. ( already doing so in Australia, where it will remove more than 415tonnes of trans fats from the Australian food supply ) 237-33

Then there is there whole "go active" program. They leased their logo and name to makers of skateboards and bicycles. Of course, don't bother going to a McDonald's after the lobby is closed - only motorized vehicles apply to drive-thru. ( Another Minneapolitan discusses his incident at a BK drive-through )

Wanting to know more about why one cannot use a bike or walk in a drive-through, I did some research. It seems that insurance companies consider car-drivers to be a risk too high for pedestrians and bicyclists. So the insurance companies are keeping us safe from ourselves, or so they say. Does that mean they are also culpable in Global Warming, supporting car-culture to such an extent?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I worked the drive thru window at a McDonald's several years ago. I was never told an official policy about non-vehicles through the drive-thru, and it only happened a dozen times over 2 years, but the problems with people coming through with bikes/walking were:

1) Bikes/people don't activate the weight sensor and so our headsets don't get a BEEP sound to let us know to say "welcome to McDonald's, how may I help you" on our headsets

2) Walking to the pick-up window to order was a pain
because the person up there doesn't enter in order when it's busy, so you break the "system"

3) They thought they were hilarious for thinking of walking/biking in front of the drive-thru

To be honest, I wasn't too concerned about our customer's safety to deny them service if they were at the drive-thru.

Anonymous said...

They serve horses don't they?

A few years back there was a hubbub about not serving a rider on horseback at a Tim Hortons. In that case they claimed it was for sanitary reasons. Although the horse never plopped whilst in the drive through lane.

Anonymous said...

Bikes don't have license plates, for one.

99% of the time, there's a camera aimed at the drive-through to capture the plate in case of robbery or whatnot.

That and fast food managers tend to be impotent, vindictive, anal arses who enjoy nothing more than hosing a customer with their beloved rule book.

Anonymous said...

The McDonalds near me (urban area with lots of late-night traffic) just opened a 24/7 "Walk-Up" window, probably because they got tired of having drunk people walk through the drive through.

Anonymous said...

It figures. Maybe I have no right to claim I'm on a real vehicle since it has no motor. I wonder if I had a small gas-powered motor on my bicycle if they would insure the store? Or is it a problem only if the vehicle is uninsured?
In any case, they won't even realize that their insurance problem cost them a customer. And since I've given up Burger King I think I'll be healthier. Their expense, my gain.
Another thing I've noticed is my own awareness of just how car-culture oriented our society really is. Drive-through's were designed for the car culture. People eat while driving in their cars too. I don't eat on my bike though. I carry it home like take-out. So maybe I don't deserve to take part in the car culture on my bike.
I guess a real-time solution would be to convince a local restuarant to create a safe, specifically designed bike-up window, no-motorized vehicles allowed, maybe with an overhang so if it's raining out a person could make a transaction.
In the situation I encountered the BK closes it's interior restuarant earlier than I bike by there, but keeps their drive-through open much later. So I thought It would be simple to just ride through and pick up a late dinner. I guess I'm already forgetting that my and my bike don't fit in too well with the car culture. The more I ride in traffic the more I get used to it and don't think it's as big of a deal as when I first started. I suppose if a car hits me while riding in the streets, their insurance company won't want to pay any damages either. If I hit a car on a bicycle I'm still liable for damages to that car. But a car can do so much more damage, especially to the bike rider. Oh well, it's too big of an issue to solve alone. It's good to have discussions about this.

-John in Minneapolis