Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Amina moves on

LinkThis photo was taken several weeks ago, but it is of my friend Amina. We had just gotten off the bus, and she was walking with her supervisor Geleto for a ride back home. She used to live near where I used to at the corner of Franklin and Clinton Avenue in public housing. When I lived at 2011 3rd Avenue, we would walk home together. Another local resident, Mustafa, who used to work at with her also would.

As many non-Muslims do not know, Ramadan just ended. The celebration that is a giant feast is known as Eid Al-Fitr. Most celebrated this weekend. In Kenya, I hear they celebrated it today. Either way, Amina was supposed to work this last weekend, up until today. She never called in, and two days in a row is grounds for firing. She did request time off next weekend, which means she could have gotten things confused - but she didn't answer her phone. I have her number and sent her a text message.

My friend Likelesh said she talked to Amina, and that she quit after working there for eight years. I also heard from a Somali man named Mohamed, that she got married and moved to London - never to speak to non-family again. That seems extreme, and I hope its just a lie. I wish her the best, wherever it may take her.

No comments: