Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Return to Minnesota!

Yes - I did finally get to escape Ft. Dix at last!

I had a few library books checked out - and it seems that in New Jersey they lock their book drop off box at night. SO - I left it at their entrancer underneath a long canopy. Hopefully the books did not get wet with all the snow coming down. I suppose I could have dropped them off in a mail box and assumed a postal carrier would do the right thing.

Now back in Minnesota - what do we do? Well - we get off the Northwest plane at the Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport - right next to the light rail station known as the Humphrey Terminal station. In all but 3 states - this would have been the end of the road for us all. I would have taken the light rail home. But we hopped on our buses appropriate to the cities we deployed from: Brainerd, Saint Cloud, Wadena and Sauk Center. I got on the Brainerd bus.

I was then welcomed into the city of Brainerd by people all waving down the streets. It was quite a unique event. At the Brainerd High School we all were given the star treatment - with a band there, and bleachers packed full of people to the point people had to stand. The Mayors of Brainerd and its unknown suburb Baxter were at the event to welcome us home. Also present was Brainerd's gay Republican Senator - Paul Koering. It was all rather too long - though all of us soldiers knew we were not their for ourselves - but for this community. They were all glad we were home.

All I know is that none of my family was waiting for me there. I have no car and my partner Brandy had finals the next day. She couldn't take a bus up and then take it right back down in time - nor would she have had time to study with all the traveling. Therefore - she was not their. My Mother has no license and my Grandmother was just diagnosed with Glaucoma and had her licensed revoked. Therefore I pretty much waited around until Lietenant Sangano inquired as to the whereabouts of family/friends.

He gave me a ride to the Days Inn Hotel. The Minnesota National Guard offered hotels free to those who lived more than 50 miles from Camp Ripley. The next 2 days we would have to endure briefings and were encouraged to bring our family. Thanks to Lietenant Sangano , Brandy was able to come up to Camp Ripley that Thursday( 8 Dec ) - the final day of briefings .

That Thursday we were out by noon - and Sgt. Neuhaus was my ride back to Minneapolis and his wife was suffering from slight "twitching" due to her seizures. SO I unfortunately was unable to attend the welcome back ceremony from our Governor. I feel awful that I was unable to meet personally with an individual who doesn't believe in inflation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am happy that you are back with your family.