Sunday, December 11, 2005

Dean Zimmerman's Party


I was fortunate enough to be able to attend Dean Zimmerman's party tonight! ( even brought some rice crispy bars that Brandy made) He will no longer be a city council member in 2006 - but his mission remains. He wants to get Minneapolis off of hydrocarbons and towards renewables. He wants a better future for the next generation and life to be improved for the poorest citizens. (And also lucky for me is he only lives a block away!)

It was a fun and political-filled night!

I met many of his supporters. I first met Cadillac Kolstad - a local musician/artist. He plays every thursday 5-7PM at the Varsity Theater in Dinkytown and Loring Pasta on Fridays 9:45 to 12:00. He will be playing at the International Blues Challenge in Memphis, TN in January of 2006.

I was pleasantly surprised to meet Danene Provencher - I helped her on the Nader campaign in 2004. I got around 50 signatures to get him on the Minnesota ballot. I actually don't remember how many signatures I got - I just know that I filled out all 3 sheets she sent me. I then got 10 more from her and got half of them taken care of. I could have been assisting her longer and done more - as she completed her goal ahead of schedule.

Danene has been considering a run in her district against Jim Ramstad in the 3rd Congressional District. If she runs, it will be an opportunity to communicate Green values in a non-traditional Green area. I also think she will do better than expected.

In 2008 I will support Nader again. He's amazing - and apart from all his stances - he lives the life he wants to see lived. He owns no car - nor does he plan to.

Towards the end of the night I met Paul Busch , Campaign Manager for Emily Dickinson and now Jesse Mortenson. He seemed full of energy about these campaigns and is proud of his participation on the local political scene. I have been astounded at how the Green Party has grown lately in both cities - and hope the momentum is not lost anytime soon.

And before I left I met Dave Bicking - who ran for city council in the 9th Ward under the Green Party. He and hsi girlfriend had made it to the Reverend Billy event I attended earlier that day. But he went to the Mall of America and participated in caroling. :)

I spoke briefly with Farheen Hakeem who ran for Mayor under the Greens. She is one of the few people I have met who actually know where Iraqi cities are - though I can understand why she did not want to chat about the subject. Though since I was there it is brought up quite often.

Annie Young is a very likable person. She made me feel quite welcome - not that others didn't - but she had a very welcoming aura about her. She seems a quite natural person to be involved in politics - and yet also contradict the "evil politician" stereotype. She's an amazing leader for the Greens to have - and hopefully inspires others to follow her lead.

I met the owner of the Northern Sun store , Scott Cramer , who invited me to meet some other veterans he knew at his store. I was unable to do so - and plan to contact him again and let him know I am still interested just have been busy. I honestly do not know when I will NOT be busy again but I can try. :)



The night was not an entirely Green Party affair - as Republican challenger to Martin Sabo, Frank Taylor was in attendance. I explained Bush's stance as well as Thomas P. Barnett's theory on world stability in regards to the Iraq war. I am by know means a believer in the use of violence - but I have like to know why people choose to use it. Mr. Taylor was adamant about how we were squandering resources there that could be put to better use in America. I do not disagree at all - but the Pentagon sees things differently.

Phil Wilklkie - the "associate publisher" of the Pulse was also there. I honestly cannot remember whether it was he or someone he was speaking to who was against a smoking ban. Either way - there were definetely some more moderate Independence Party leaning individuals at Dean's party.

Either way - I love political discussions - and it is rare to find a setting where it is so appropriate to go all out. ;) But again - I truly hate just opinion talk and politician bashing unless it is backed up. I tend to find pros and cons in just about every belief. But I tend to stick with what makes sense long-term. ( i.e. the environment and health matters win in the end )

But I do know that I stayed out WAY LATE. Left at like 2 A.M. !! Things had died down but still going!

(the photo is of a snowman. I saw him on the way to and from Dean's party on Clinton Avenue. )

No comments: