Saturday, May 23, 2009

Netbooks




I just heard on MPR's Futuretense that netbook sales have slowed. The current thoughts are that netbooks are not fast enough for the average consumer and are merely popular in "geekdom." Perhaps I am a geek having just bought my first netbook last Friday to assist in my online summer classes.

My friend Dave recommended I get the EEE PC with a solid state hard drive, which I did. It's only 16GB, but has an SD card slot also for addition memory. No CD or DVD drive, but I have an external CD-RW at home. I also have an external 750GB drive for music and backup storage. A netbook makes better sense than an all-in-one laptop. But it also complements my long-term ability to stay ahead of the curve. Briefly what I have purchased as an e-consumer

1997: My sibling had been given a laptop, but did not know how to maintain it. Therefore I did, and signed up for Juno e-mail and eventually unlimited dialup internet through Pressenter.

1998: Bought a first model E-machine. These were the first desktop PCs sold for less than $500. I also started downloading MP3s and converting some of my music collection

1999: Signed up for free internet through Netzero. Slower than PRessenter, but free.

2000: While living in Saint Cloud, the cable company dropped off equipment to hook up my cable internet, but never installed it. I installed it myself and called the ISP for specific info to do so. Rather complicated to do at the time with Windows 98, but after doing so never received a bill for my broadband while living there. Not sure why, but I never signed any contracts. Still returned their equipment. ( I still found it odd how I could access other people's computers on that service, but it was before firewalls were prevalent

2001: Bough a portable MP3-CD player. Worked out nicely in my car. You can fit between 6-12 hours on one CD, how can you beat driving to Chicago and never hearing the same tune twice?

2004: Started blogging, though still an unpaid amateur. :D

2007: Bought the first Apple that included Intel Duo processors. Started listening to podcasts religiously.

2008: Converted my DVDs to MP4 H.264 format.

2009: First generation netbook. I think these will only get more powerful in the coming years. I doubt I will need to ever buy a laptop that has equivalent power to a desktop. Cannot wait for Apple and/or Google to come out with their own versions. Rumor is they are at least a year or two away from developing one.

So, I am not way ahead of the curve or anything. Just tend to spend a lot of time evaluating what exists out there and seeing if it fits my life at the moment. For instance, I have never owned an Ipod, nor ever plan to. I didn't buy a cell phone until this year, because I am way too busy to NOT have one. But if I ever quit being so active, why would I need one?

My camera was stolen when I left it on a #16 bus going to an election party. I have yet to buy one, but might if I find a good sale later this month. ONLY because I might be taking a lot more photos this summer than typical. Then again, I could save more money by NOT buying one and just borrowing one. Hmm...

Either way, I think more people should become conscious of what electronics they really find useful to their lives and not just collect a bunch of gadgets. Gadget lovers tend to have collections of dust-gathering gadgets that are always being added to. Why make such a mess? For fun? I will have no part of that, though already have a lot of leftover stuff that have been left with me! Anyone need

No comments: