Thursday, January 01, 2009

Year 2008 In Review

Wow, what a crazy year! Seriously, don't know how it just blew me away! Literally....

Family and Friends


  • Josiah turned 6 on August 19th. We had a small party, with only a few of his friends. He's even funnier and smarter than last year. But also more hyper and bold against authority.
  • Josiah finished Kindergarten at Ramsey, started 1st grade there, but couldn't handle 45 minute bus rides to their. So, I had to transfer him to another school. Whatever one was open which was Longfellow. Teachers there have told me, after asking me not to mention their names, that it was a bad school because problem children tended to go there and would adversely influence my child. Yet, Josiah is not able to handle himself on a bus - what makes him so much better?
  • Leah Seelhoff moved to the Winona area with her daughters. Siah and I miss them. She's the only real person I used to talk to on a regular basis and not think I was crazy. :D
  • On my birthday, I rescued a cat who was starving outside and was very friendly. Josiah wanted to call her "Candy Cane" but she is a Calico. She didn't look like a candy cane at all! So, I gave it some thought and a month later re-named her Kanika ( which sounds very similar to candy cane, but it sounds like a princess name). So, I rescued Kanika from starvation, got her shots, and fixed. And I won't de-claw her because that is just wrong. She is now very healthy and happy!
  • My brother Tim moved in with me in January. He stayed until June. After moving to Duluth in October, he came out and SHE is now referred to as Natasa. So, you could say I was my brother's last room-mate. And that I no longer have a brother.
  • I did go to my half-brother, Jerich's birthday, and still have the DVD we made of it. But my conservative father seems to have ex-communcated with me. Perhaps he feels we aren't to his liking.
  • My Mother moved in with me in October. She found a new partner, Kathy, and will be trucking with her at some point in early 2009.

Financial / Emloyment

  • On the last day of April, I was fired for being a political blogger. Yeah, quite illegal. But the Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux believe they can trample on their employees Constitutional rights. And they like to be consistent about it. Many of my co-workers were fired this year without written reasons, and were able to get unemployment as well. ( If they applied, which most I have talked to have. ) I have nothing against Native rights. But you fired me because I am a member of the Green Party? Seriously, I think Glyn Crooks has something against Winona LaDuke.
  • Took classes at the Minnesota Workforce Center, and improved my resume which improved my ability to get interviews.
  • Worked temporarily through Cynthia Cook ( never trust these people ) for the John Roberts Company in Coon Rapids. They fired me because I gave them two weeks notice that I couldn't work on a specific Monday. I could work every day after that, but it didn't matter to them. ( I told them when they hired me of this date and they said it was okay!)
  • Even though unemployment was okay, it was stressful filling out dozens of applications and faxing resumes ( occasionally hand delivering). Looking for a job is more than full-time work!
  • I wanted my unemployment to last, so I actually took a job at Blockbuster. It was fun, chatting about mindless movies all day ( most of which I have no intention of seeing ). But the pay was pathetic. And residents of Edina are worse snobs than angry gamblers!
  • I now work downtown, less than 15 minutes from LRT or bus. I am also a member of a unon: SEIU Local 26.
Education


  • My career goal: dietitian. Will dietitians exist if our society collapses? Probably not, but any education will look good on a resume until then. :D
  • I wanted to start college this fall at MCTC. Getting laid off had me post-pone it until January. I intend to go to college even if I have to pay for it myself and move to a smaller place to make it happen.
  • I haven't taken any college classes yet owe over $35,000 in co-signed student loans. I was paying Megan Kyllonen's at $400 a month, until I was laid off. Worried I couldn't get another job if they checked my credit rating, I put $8500 of her loan onto my Discovercard. Bad decision, because now I can't pay any of Brandy Kyllonen's loans, which are in default. I will also not be able to pay on Megan's anymore after the payments catch up in February of 2010 ( I think ). What is most ironic about this situation is that I could have had my college paid for by the National Guard, but Brandy insisted that she go. She's 12 credits shy of graduating with an associates degree in culinary arts.

Health

  • After being laid off, I lost my health insurance. So did Josiah.
  • Within a week of being laid off, I was supposed to have surgery to get teeth removed and then get myself braces. My teeth are very genetically inferior. But without income, or insurance, there was no point in adding $200 a month to my expenses. I canceled my appointments and someday will be able to fix my teeth. ( I already paid for some plaster of my mouth to be made, photos of my teeth at all different angles, a couple consultation appointments. Wish they would have warned me that they would be firing people at random! )
  • Been a vegetarian for seven years now ( in November ) !
  • I did have a health assessment at Mystic Lake in March. I am very healthy! ( and now I don't work where there is second-hand smoke! )

I look forward to 2009 as a better year and one that I can build towards a better future.

No comments: