Saturday, August 09, 2008

Have I politically sorted myself?


I listened to the Midmorning show on MPR the other day where they chatted about "The Big Sort." The book, of the same name, was written by the show's guest Bill Bishop. He stated that the divisiveness in American politics is really our own fault. We have chosen to live in communities with like-minded people. And when we all agree to live by similar values, we slowly become more extreme in them to the point we alienate those outside our community.

I actually disagree with this assessment, but that is perhaps because I feel like a continual outlier in the grand scheme of things:

Since about 1998, I had been officially a member of the Libertarian Party. I really believed in the vague notion of "freedom." My definition did not meld with others in Scott County, where my peers' political views were radically different than my own. In a business law class we were asked to split into two groups: one that believed in the death-penalty, and those who wanted to abolish the death-penalty. I had chosen the abolishment, because I strongly believed people should live their lives out no matter if it was in a prison cell. Especially as some were wrongfully committed.

I grew up in Scott County during the Clinton administration. A president who I never trusted and nor felt any allegiance too. I had wanted Ross Perot to win in 1992 and '96 because I felt he spoke the facts regarding trade and the National Debt. The only elected official who gave me hope in the 90's was Jesse Ventura, an independent who wasn't a two-face liar as so many others proved they were.

Before I graduated high school, my then girlfriend convinced me to speak to a military recruiter. Her mother's partner had been in the National Guard and always spoke about how it was a wonderful experience. Many members of my family, including my mother's partner Sue, felt it would be a good idea to join a branch of the military. Sue wanted me to join the Navy like her father. I would have no part in the corrupt Federal government, but would join what I felt was a state-run organization: the Minnesota National Guard. When I was sworn in, I was swearing allegiance to not only my country, but the great state of Minnesota - whose chosen leader was Jesse Ventura.

I suppose you could say I felt very proud to have Jesse as our Governor, much like so many are feeling ecstatic to have ( very likely ) Obama be our next President. When I was at the Mall of America, I purchased a t-shirt ( stolen within a year out of a laundromat washer! ) and a key-chain which I still have. Obama also has a plethora of merchandise, so I can't say I am immune to populist politics!

I spent the late summer of 2000 and first half of 2001 training in the ARMY. When Bush was "elected" and the controversy had erupted, I was in boot camp. I didn't care about Bush or Gore, as I had voted for Libertarian candidate Harry Browne. I didn't see either Bush or Gore as making any real change in America. Though I had paid attention to debates, and felt that Bush was really against nation building and sending the military all over the globe for pointless missions. ( For those that still think Gore should have won, check out where your Vice-President choice is now - Joe Lieberman is squarely on the side of McCain and is an adamant war hawk. I believe Gore would have gone to war with Iraq too, just as Hillary Clinton supported it. )

I bought my first car, a Daewoo Lanos, on September 11, 2001 in my hometown of Prior Lake, Minnesota. I bought this car, a two-door hatchback, believing oil prices would skyrocket within the decade, which they have. But what a fateful day to purchase any vehicle, an omen for sure. Which is why I went car-free a week before Operation Iraqi Freedom began.

When I moved to Minneapolis, it was primarily because I wanted to live somewhere with mass transit. Scott County has no transit system worthy of speaking of: they had one bus route going to downtown Minneapolis in weekday mornings, and returning each evening ( Update: They still have only this single route ). But I also did not like the flag-pin mentality of Scott County. I did not agree in rushing to war in Afghanistan simply because Americans had lost their temper and wanted to bomb someone. When Bush made his speech at West Point on June 1st, 2002 on the merits of pre-emption - I knew he was a man I had lost any form of respect for.

So, moving to Minneapolis I at least knew that many there also disliked Bush being a Democrat town. But I didn't like the Democratic Party, because they never seemed very Democratic. They threw temper tantrums about Nader being on the ballot in Florida. Too bad more registered Democrats in Florida voted for Bush than ALL of those who voted for Nader. But Democrats can't blame themselves, they need a scape-goat. Blame everyone but themselves. Fortunately, two members of the Green Party were on the city council: Dean Zimmerman and Natalie Johnson Lee. The Independence Party also was semi-active, and the Republican party non-existent in Minneapolis.

I originally lived in Stevens Square, and then on the edge of Whittier for four years. Then I moved to East Phillips, where I currently reside. My neighbors are quite friendly, and many like to garden. We all can get along very well, and appreciate the variety of cultural and religious differences. I run into neighbors all the time and chat about things going on, and rarely run into those who make me feel unwelcome.

I find this area much more cozy, but I still do not feel "sorted." While my neighbors may agree on liberal issues, I still believe in democratic choice more than they do. I want to see the Green and Independence parties on the ballot, and many of them do not. The chair of Whittier chimes on e-mail lists how amazing participating in Democracy is by attending a DFL event - when this party wants to and has run the entire city from the bottom up - isn't that a bit authoritarian? But she doesn't see it that way, nor several others in that party.

So while others may put up Obama and Al Franken signs up, I will put up both McKinney/Clemente and Jack Uldrich. I really believe that America deserves political parties that speak truth, rather than buy votes with outright lies and cheap gimmicks.

Perhaps the Greens and the Independence could copy the "Free State Project" and promote places as most "independent" or "Green-minded" for us to live and build a movement starting locally. I really do not mind political sorting, as long as it doesn't lead to one-party zones as we have in Minneapolis and Scott County. I would call these Dead Zones of Democracy. I hope those who find themselves in these step up in like-minded third-parties to keep their communities from stagnation and corruption.

No comments: