Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Day 4: Nakuru


Day 4 - Traveling to Nakuru

We decided to go to Nakuru to relax a bit outside of Nairobi. We went to what I would call an elitist place called “Nakuru Club”. I had my first Tusker there and attempted to play pool/billiards - which I have always sucked at. Phanice was no better or worse than myself. I felt like I made a fool of myself, but whatever. Every girl I have been with for an extended time has somehow played this game with me before we officially were going out.

We had lunch at a restaurant that was confused that I would want a vegetarian meal. I had a semi-veggie meal - but was quite disappointed that it was only a salad. The waiter was practically a member of the city’s visitor bureau. He waxed on and on about how wonderful Nakuru is.

A friend traveled with us, and was taking a bus to Kisumu from Nakuru. We stayed with him for several hours at a restaurant next to a gas station. When we got our chips ( known in America as french fries ) they were exceedingly greasy. I was more than a bit disgusted at this. It even got a bit cold and chilly there, so I am glad I had a jacket with at the time.

After Evan’s bus arrived, we left for a hotel in downtown Nakuru. I cannot remember the name of the place, just that it was so dark walking into the place. I believe there was a power outage, which would explain why the man at the counter was using a lamp.

When we got to our room, I was surprised at how familiar it felt. It was about the same size as one in New York City, with a small bathroom and one bed. It even had a mosquito net for the bed. Outside of Nairobi, the threat of malaria was much higher. And I am glad that we were able to get pills for them.

We stayed up and talked for a bit. It was the first time we had been completely alone together in such a situation. It was nice, but we were both terribly shy - still it was nice to be as close to her and find out how similiar we are though our lives have always been so far apart.

No comments: