Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Day 3 in Nairobi


Not your typical Tuesday for me. I awoke early to clean Phanny's [ pronounced FA-Knee-Z ] dishes. She awoke to clean much further - that is after we had some Wheatabix and chai ( Kenya Tea ).

It was very loud outside, as there was some construction across the alley/road. Men were pounding and chipping giant rocks into more square-like shapes. Phanice and a friend had to go on what was initially a quick errand, but the car broke down. It took 3 1/2 hours out of the day, but I just relaxed at her place. Listened to my MP3 player and enjoyed a siesta.

Phanice made dinner after going shopping alone this time at the nearby farmer's markets. She was concerned I didn't like ugali and made rice and tomoatoe/veggie based meal. Later that night we went out for pizza and ice cream. I had a mediterranian style pizza and ice cream known in America as the Peanut Buster Parfait.

It was fun riding in the matatu, though always too loud! Crowded, yes, but okay. I believe we sat in the very back.

After ice cream, she decided to take a taxi back home. But would have to haggle for one without me there. They would charge a ridiculous price if I were there, because they think caucasians are made of money somehow. After we got back, Phanice played some solitaire on the computer.

After Phanice went to sleep, I had noticed there was an excessive amount of bugs - primarily cockroaches - living in the kitchen of her apartment. I hated them. Probably not a good feeling, but I wanted them gone and her kitchen to be as sanitary as possible. So I went to sleep after eradicating a fair amount of them, but would bring up the issue with Phanice at some point. A friend would eventually use a bug spray that would requiring us to stay out of the kitchen for several hours.

No comments: