Thursday, January 12, 2006

Visit from Delan ( or is it Dealin' ? )


In South Minneapolis there are many recurring characters one may see every so often. Many of them are recurring because they are always on the street for *ahem* not so legal reasons. And then there are some that are just out a lot - or like to walk a lot and are nice and don't get into trouble people. Delan fits somewhere in-between.

Don't get me wrong - he's a nice guy - always friendly. But take the first time I met him. I thought he was "Dealin' " as in drug dealing. Then he sold me a bike he "found" for $20. Of course he'd always ask for more money or food. Being a vegetarian I had no meat products for him to eat and it always seemed to disappoint him. Delan being Native preferrs his meat patties with each meal.

When I moved from my older place to my new one - I needed a bit of help moving a few items. Delan helped me out - he was such a lifesaver! Of course I believe I gave him some cash for it - but he would've done it for free at the time since I had helped him out many times previously.

I found it interesting to have met him at Dean Zimmerman's party in December. Delan was a Dean supporter and even volunteered time house-knocking for his campaign! So Delan is one of those unseen individuals at work in Minneapolis to make changes - regardless whether he is given any acknowledgement for it.

Tonight I saw him walking home from being dropped off at Chicago and Franklin from the AIC shuttle. This is actually how I met him the first time - and how I typically run into him. He's always on Franklin Avenue - 9 times out of 10 on a bike.

But it seems that he consistently is rotating the bikes he uses. I commented on this and he stated he's gone through over a dozen bikes - as so many get stolen. He doesn't bother locking them anymore and stores them indoors. I must agree that in Minneapolis - you really must watch your bike. Between Brandy and myself - we have lost 4 bikes thus far. All were locked - 3 with chain-locks and one with a U-lock. It is quite a discouraging trend in Minneapolis - a city with many bike users and just as many thieves.

Today Delan informed me of his new job. This is yet another quality he has - he's always getting a new job or 2. Thas fine with me - but he never seems to stay anywhere - yet finds out about many different businesses while job-hopping. He asked for a couple dollars until - to help him out until Friday ( payday). I find it a perfect opportunity for a photo - so I offer to get him 3 Sacagaweas and get a couple photos in of him and his bike. ( he disliked the flash - and blinked EVERY TIME ! Part night-owl?) :)

Anyone else in South Minneapolis ever run into Delan? I've seen him in Uptown, All over Franklin Avenue, Seward, and on Riverside by Hard Times Cafe. He definitely gets around! And I see him at all times of day! It's like he's always out! Yet if he's a drug-user I don't suspect anything but pot. He's no crackhead (or methead) !

If you chance to see him - say hi! He's a super friendly guy and quite harmless - in fact he tells me how he strives to prevent local crime. He has stated to have stopped thieves (in this case Somali gang-bangers ) from robbing college girls in Uptown. Sounds more dangerous than he lets on.

No comments: